Mesendorf - The fortified church, Brasov, Romania.
Автор: Corneliu Coman - Iasi
Загружено: 2013-09-17
Просмотров: 979
Описание:
Meșendorf was mentioned for the first time in 1290 in a ratification of boundaries between Mukendorf and Sarustelek. In 1332, from a document enumerating the properties of the Abbey of Cârța, we find out that, together with Cloașterf and Criț, Meșendorf was also part of them. This situation lasted until 1474 when the abbey was abolished and all of its possessions were taken by Saint Mary's Church in Sibiu, today the parish church.
Without knowing the exact year of foundation we can assume that the church of Meșendorf dates from the middle of the 14th century. The hall church built of gross sandstone had a tower annexed on the west side and fourteen buttresses unloading the pressure of the vaults from the nave and choir. The hall had initially three windows on the north and south sides, an ogival chancel arch, rib vaults and a portal on the west side, at the ground floor of the tower. The latter has five levels, the first one corresponding to the portal has a barrel vault, the second one communicates with the actual organ loft through a mobile staircase, and the third one is open to the church attic. In 1494, together with the more extensive fortification works, the last level of the tower received a defense gallery on consoles. On the north and south sides which are more exposed to the enemy, the handrails were made of stone; on the east and west sides were made of wood. At the same time the west portal was walled in and a new one was made on the south side; together with the portal, the west windows were also walled in. The hall and the choir of the church were raised with two meters, resulting in two defense levels, the first one provided with crenels and the second one with a gallery on a timber console. The spaces between the supporting elements were provided with machicolations. The access to the new defensive features was made through the third level of the tower.
Around the end of the 15th century the polygonal precinct was built, with walls of about five meters high. The two towers from the southeast and southwest sides of the precinct, covered by oblique roofs, have three levels each, the access to the last floor from the courtyard is made through the second floor, because of the oscillations of level. The defense gallery was maintained on the south side, partially supported by the curtain wall that narrows at approximately two meters above the ground, and partially by wooden consoles. The access to the precinct can also be found on this side.
In 1653 was placed the polyptych altar with four panels decorated with scenes from the Passion.
In 1765 the south gallery from inside the church was painted and the organ made by Johannes Hahn from Sibiu was brought.
In 1914 Josef Vogel restored the paintings of the galleries and the old organ was replaced with a new one placed above the altar. The latter received in 1923 two new mobile panels which replaced the old ones, painted with the heads of the four evangelists by Hans Hermann.
In 1958 the southeast tower was demolished because of the weak structure; the wall was rebuilt using bricks.
In present day, the church and the fortifications are in restauration.
Повторяем попытку...
Доступные форматы для скачивания:
Скачать видео
-
Информация по загрузке: